Friday, April 11, 2008

Life and Death - Part 2

Well, our friend passed away this morning around 7:00 am (CST).

My husband called to let me know. And, as a good Puertorrican, I started bawling right away. I am at work, and I work with a bunch of gringos. So I composed myself, and continued about my day as if nothing happened. My workplace recently lost a former worker to cancer. Only one person cried. I even cried a little, and I did not even know the woman! But for the most part, my co-workers were stoic...

Our friend no longer suffers. She slipped away peacefully. And I am very, very sad...In our human, selfish nature, we mourn and grief, not for her, but because we can no longer see her. Is it really about us, or about the idea of the brevity of life? The idea that, we can be here today and gone tomorrow...If you are a religious or spiritual person, we have our own ideas of what happens...If someone thinks this is it, and when we die, it's all over...well, I hate to say, that "sucks" even more...I am not cutting down on what non-religious or non-believers think. For me, though, is hard to digest the idea that this is "it". Nothing before, nothing after? It can't be...we cultivate our souls and intellects to then have it all eaten by worms? I don't think so...

So, with that said, I say, "Farewell, my friend; we will see each other soon in the other side. We love you."

1 comment:

Joy said...

Sorry to hear your friend is no longer with you, however it is good that she can be at peace now in a different place. Even if it isn't true, the notion of not having something after we die is really not something I want to think about. Life can't just be here for us to live and then die and that's it. It just seems pointless because although you alter other people's existence by your own, it kind of means that our lives are less important in a longer scheme of things. So as for what happens after death... I'm not a fan of the worms theory either.