Monday, November 3, 2008

What, you are NOT voting?!?!

I never voted until I moved here. I grew up in a home where my mother was very apathetic towards the whole democratic process of an election. My dad voted, but did not do much to instill any civic responsibility in me.

The other day, my mom dared to tell me she was thinking about NOT voting (elections to elect Puerto Rico's next governor are tomorrow as well-they do not participate in Presidential elections, but do elect a Resident Comissioner to Washington-and other stuff I can't remember-sorry!).

I about went through the phone..."MAMI, you have to vote! Do you know women could not vote until 100 years ago? Do you know how many risked their lives so we could have that right? Are you not going to complain about how things are the next 4 years? Because if you don't vote, you can't complain...." etc, etc, etc....you get the jist of it.

So, different opinions and preferences aside, please vote tomorrow, people! It is our duty. I work with some ladies that so matter of factly shrugged today and said, "Me? I am not voting"...

Their decision. Still, I wish I could get in their heads and convince them to go vote.

Please?

No comments: