Thursday, November 13, 2008

Yes, we can!

So, I don't want to make this a political blog. Election day is over. History was made.

So just this once, I will recall the experiences of the last few days since we elected a new president.

In my native Puerto Rico, there is a new governor as well. And most people down there are quite happy with the result. They say, they wanted "cambio," change. A young, charismatic, vibrant governor with a big following. I guess he won by ample margin too.

My mother voted for him...remember? She did not want to vote...

Just like here, people wanted change.

We have a new president elect. Vibrant, charismatic. Many think he won just because his ethnicity. And, yes, that is important. Many of those with African descent thought this day would never come. And for those of us who are considered "people of color," it is important too.

But mostly, is about how people is thirsty for a new way to do things. Our president-elect may be just another politician. He will certainly make mistakes, as only humans do. However, this is the hope that something can be done. If a milestone as huge as this can be reached, then everything is possible.

And, even when this may be controversial, I will write it; this is my blog, right? I have a message for all the white supremacists outthere. Those who believe they are better and smarter just because they are white. You know what? You are not. You are just painfully and disappointingly ignorant. And I hope one day you understand that there is no such thing as a pure-bred white, or any race, in this country anymore. Even if there was, that does not make one better than the other. So stop your threats and your complains. You know who you are. I hope one day you see the light.

Ok, off my soap box now! No more politics...for a while!

No comments: